7 Straits View
Marina One East Tower
Elaina is a TMT lawyer with a particular focus on the converging technology and media sectors.
In the technology space, Elaina has significant experience advising on complex outsourcing and procurement matters, including on cutting-edge transactions such as a landmark US$100 million deal on the sourcing of autonomous haulage trucks and on the commercialisation of new applications powered by artificial intelligence. In addition, she regularly advises on multi-jurisdictional cloud-computing, cybersecurity and data protection regulations, frequently conducting trainings for clients on the same. Elaina also has a focus on advising clients, including major banks and insurers, on the innovative use and commercialisation of their data.
In the media space, Elaina advises both traditional channels businesses and newer OTT streaming platforms. Her recent experience includes advising on the launch of a new pay TV channel in Singapore, a global sports streaming service on its Asia-Pacific launch, the owner of exercise video content on the Asian rollout of its on-demand streaming service, a global channel network on the commercialization of its intellectual property, and a global technology company on a series of content acquisition agreements. She also regularly advises these clients on day-to-day issues such as advertising regulations, censorship and marketing partnerships.
She has significant experience advising on the full lifecycle of data protection and cybersecurity matters, from negotiating these issues as part of complex technology transactions and designing internal policies, to advising on regulator engagement and investigations following a data breach.
Elaina is admitted to practise in Singapore.
- BHP on the procurement of a $100 million autonomous haulage truck system for a mine site in Western Australia as part of its wider digital mines strategy.
- GOJEK in relation to privacy matters and its expansion across Southeast Asia.
- A multinational insurer on data and intellectual property rights issues arising from the commercialisation of a proprietary underwriting software engine.
- Comcast on media regulatory issues arising across its entire Asia-Pacific business as part of its proposed US$65 billion bid for 21st Century Fox.
- Columbia Asia Group on the roll out of a cloud-based patient self-service portal across Asia.
- A global car manufacturer on its media and entertainment strategy as part of its connected and autonomous vehicles initiative.
- Rewind Networks on the launch of HITS Movies, a new pay TV channel, in Southeast Asia.
- A global sports OTT streaming service in relation to its Asia-Pacific launch.
- A sovereign wealth fund in relation to its outsourced cybersecurity incident response strategy.
- A transportation platform on its data breach incidence response strategy.
2015 – Juris Doctor (magna cum laude), Singapore Management University, Singapore
2012 – Bachelor of Business Management (summa cum laude), Singapore Management University, Singapore
Law Society of Singapore
Advocate & Solicitor, Supreme Court of Singapore
“A Practical Guide to Launching a Regional OTT Service”, The Asia Video Industry Report 2019, Asia Video Industry Association